The Village of Over Haddon
Over Haddon is situated two miles south-east of Bakewell, in the Peak District.
It nestles at the top of a steep valley, overlooking the beautiful Lathkill Dale.
The village has one pub, the Lathkill Hotel, and the Craft Centre at Manor Farm has an excellent Tea Room. There is an English Nature visitor centre at Manor Barn.
The Romans were the first people to have left evidence of lead mining in the area.
By the middle of the 19th century supplies were almost exhausted. Nevertheless, the Mandale aqueduct was constructed in 1840 in order to carry water from the reservoir to work a huge waterwheel which ran a steam engine to drain the mines. The project was short-lived and the machinery was sold in 1852. The stone pillars of the aqueduct can still be seen.
Many of the miners' old paths up the daleside to Youlgreave remain visible today.
In 1854 there was a short-lived gold rush when gold was found in one of the mines.
A company was formed and hundreds of people invested in the hope of making their fortunes. However the gold was in such small quantities that they all lost their money when the company was liquidated.
Over Haddon saw national fame as the home of Martha Taylor, "the celebrated fasting damsel." Born in 1649, she began to abstain from food at the age of 18 after being in ill health for some years. She was the subject of pamphlets - the equivalent of today's tabloid newspapers - and was visited by doctors and preachers from all over the country. The Earl of Devonshire took an interest in her, employing physicians to examine her, and employing shifts of women to watch her day and night. Her fast appears to have lasted for almost two years.
Martha died in 1684.
The Church of St Anne was built in 1880.