banner
DECLINING WALL SUNDIAL ON WINGERWORTH CHURCH
Full index

Wingerworth dial The declining wall dial stands high above the porch of All Saints church Wingerworth.
The date 1770 can be clearly seen at the top of the dial, all the markings are clear.
The shadow from the gnomon may be a little indistinct unless the sun is strong due to the dial face being darkened with age.
The gnomon was replaced sometime around 1980.
An iron support can be seen wrapping round the top and bottom edges of the dial.

blueline

Dial over the porch of All Saints

The history of the village of Wingerworth near Chesterfield is traceable back to Roman times, and is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086.

The church of All Saints probably dates back to the Saxon era, although it has seen many changes, including the tower built around 1500, and a new extension opened in 1964.

blueline

References:

The above notes on the village were taken from David Edwards "Wingerworth - an outline of its history", and can be seen in full at www.wingerworth.org.uk/around.htm

LOCATION

Lat 53° 12' 02" N
Lon 1° 25' 45" W
OS SK 383 675